Thursday, July 9, 2015

DAY 1: I WANT A TRAILER


Well here it is, home away from home. Day 1 and I've already experienced trailer envy. After a long day of driving, it sure would be nice to back a trailer in and call it done. 

Pause for a product review here. I gave my wonderful 8 man prepper tent away during the move. Bought an 8 man Coleman Montana (above.) Get something else. On the plus side, it is very roomy, spacious and tall. My 6ft tall son can stand up in it with room to spare. Biggest downsides: (1) left and right "wings" have to be staked down. My old tent didn't need staking and I'd forgotten that was a must have feature. (2) front "door" has Velcro pads to keep door in place so you don't have to keep zipping and unzipping. That's a nice feature until you realize you can't actually zip from the inside. What a major design flaw!! Beyond the obvious security issue (FWIW in a tent) there's the critter issue and the fact that there are large gaps between Velcro meaning this tent can only be used in the summer. If I can return it next week, I will. End of product review.

Things I knew I was missing and should have taken 5 minutes to collect: teapot so I can boil water since I couldn't uncover my Kelly Kettle; paper plates and cups (I decided I wasn't going to deal with washing dishes); plastic ware; aluminum foil; sponge scrubber and dish soap for the pressure cooker; flip flops

Things I knew I was going to need immediately and buried it in the truck anyway: multi appliance electrical cord, solar panels, pouched freeze dried food (vs #10 can.)

Things I forgot: so far, just Benadryl topical cream.

Luxuries I wish I had: stuff that runs off a cigarette lighter adapter. Don't know what but I'm sure there's tons! The camping chairs I gave away during the move.

Overall, we are doing pretty good. We are at the Pio Pico Thousand Trails camp. Not quite what I had envisioned but there are hot and cold running showers, indoor plumbing bathrooms, a pool, and the staff is superior and the campers are friendly. WiFi alas, is not free. You'll have to wait until I hit a Starbucks! We are in a canyon so cell service is iffy, no hot spots. (Crocodile tears can be seen.)

Life is rich and rewarding!

1 comment:

  1. Kathy, I'm a lurker on the debt-beaters group and just want to tell you good luck. We were full time RVers for 5 years and spent a lot of time in TT parks The parks fill up early for the holidays so get your reservations in ASAP for Labor Day-you can always cancel if you don't need them. Good luck Karen

    ReplyDelete