Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Week 2: My Life is a Comedy

Or maybe the old-fashioned word FARCE would be more accurate (definition: a comic dramatic work using buffoonery and horseplay and typically including crude characterization and ludicrously improbable situations; an absurd event.)

I've decided the Almighty actually wants me to live in a tent. There's no other explanation. Clearly, I need to experience growth relative to being in a tent 365 days of the year (as if being an American Red Cross Shelter manager wasn't experience enough), and my children are obviously needing to develop survival skills, optimism, the ability to overcome any and all adversity (ok ok. I'm starting to see the bright light here.)

But seriously. So as you've read previously, after 90 days we couldn't get clear title on the house (somehow the seller's agent believes that's MY fault and is advising her client to be obdurate), and miraculously, I found the only job in the DFW area which came with housing. Sure, I'd basically be on call 24/7, but hey, free housing is free housing.

I thought: well hey, great! Three weeks of being in a tent and then I'll start this job on August 1, move my family in, and we'll go from there. Not so bad, and just enough "experience" to learn from it.

Silly me. The employer called yesterday to retract the offer. She found someone "single" to take the job versus "me and my entire family," so we are back to Plan B: living in a tent.

HEY, at least I smartened up and got a better tent. Or will be, come Friday. Right now, because the truck broke down on the way out of the campsite, once again, we are staying with friends. Come hell or high water, we leave for Texas Friday at 0dark30.

We narrowed it down to two: the Ozark Trail 6 man instant tent cabin and the Coleman 6 person instant tent. They're both about the same money and size. It looks like you have to buy a rainfly accessory with the Coleman whereas it comes standard with Ozark. The Coleman looks like it goes up more or less like an "easy up" canopy, where the Ozark trail is a little more spidery on the assembly, but it looks way more taut and secure than the Coleman does once it's up. By consensus, we're going with the Ozark Trail. Video to follow. Yeah, I know I've said that before. I still owe you a video on cooking freeze dried food in a coffee cup, and dehydrated chicken rotini in a Stanley thermos.

At least I was able to get a battery for my laptop overnighted to me. It arrived this afternoon, so now we are "mobile" again, which will be a big plus once we get settled in campsites in Texas. The kids and I took DH to look at the travel trailers we have been looking at. They are more of a permanent situation should we get into fall without a work/home solution. If we had a truck that would pull it, I would toss getting out of debt out the window and buy it right now. He agrees with me that the model I picked out, a Keystone Passport Elite Grand Touring 3220BH, would be a liveable trailer for the family. It's just hard to think of spending money for a truck AND a trailer, although I guess we could get rid of the Kia. Oh well. That's tomorrow's problem.

All in all, things are going great. I had a phone interview with a company in Dallas this morning for a "real job" (you know, one of those corporate kinds.) I'm looking forward to getting settled in Texas so that I can get a routine going, get some money coming in vs going out, start working on APPS (that won't happen until mid-August after the dust settles with bills etc.) The repairs on this 4Runner have just killed me. I should have stuck with the original plan and just sold it for parts before I dumped close to $3k fixing it. It better last forever. My youngest is looking forward to starting community college in Texas, and going to Bible study in the fall (really. That was his big concern today: if we are moving from site to site, where is he going to attend scripture study??)

Well, I'm running on about 4 hours of sleep in 36 due to some external drama last night. I think I've earned a good nights rest. Someday, I'll cash that in, LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment