Monday, July 27, 2015

Heading in to Week 4

Wow, going on 4 weeks. Time flies.

We finally found a 30amp to 110v adapter. While we were at it we bought a 50amp to 30amp adapter, to which we will plug in our 110v adapter. That way, no matter where we are, we can get electricity.

We bought a fan today which "will do." It's not the one we wanted, but when there's only one store in town.....depending on how things go tonight, we may be able to hit the WalMart in Quinlan and see if they have the small Bionaire we were hoping to get.

Sunday we drove an hour into Plano to go to church where our online homeschool friends attend. By luck we ended up sitting behind the person who is the head of the homeshooling group for the Dallas area (with whom I had corresponded prior to arriving so it already felt like home.) The woman who teaches the Constitution class my son will be attending also attends here, and her daughter ran up to my DS15 and exclaimed, "you must be (DS15), you're going to be attending MOA, right?" He kind of looked blank and I said, "You must be (Girl13), DS15, this is Girl13, her mom teaches the Constitution class." He lit up and enthusiastically returned, "oh, I've heard all about you. I'm looking forward to it." He then asked where church class was, and a gaggle of about 7 girls grabbed him and said, "over here with us." One of them already gave him her phone number. Needless to say, this is where DS15 wants to attend church.

We looked at a few RVs yesterday, a different brand than I had my mind set on. Pricing is right and they'll deliver, so today we are going to look at some RV parks and see if they take year round and how much they cost. We are also going in to Canton and Tyler and check out housing and community there. We drove past a place yesterday that had beautiful cookie cutter/no yard homes, but advertised they started out at $110,000. I might just bite.

I had two job interviews Friday, both indicated that pending background checks, they would like to offer me a position. One is only part time, and with our housing "out yonder" the way it is, is likely not doable. The other is fulltime and a bit of a stretch skill wise, but I think I can do it. It pays "real money" and DH is already thinking 'quit his job' I'm sure. Somehow, I can't see DH living with us in a tent. And it doesn't come with any medical benefits so until I can get that lined up, he will have to stay employed.

DS19 filed for his California EMT license, it came today. He forgot he needed to actually register with the State until he started for applying for jobs here. If he is licensed in CA he can work in TX under his CA license (we think) or at least it's easier to get one here. Without it, he'd have to start over. He is chomping at the bit to work, which is ironic--this is the kid who preferred to play.

Renting here is ridiculous, for where it is, in my opinion. Way out in the middle of wherever, 3 bedrooms are still $900-1400 and up a month. The more I look at that, the more I think "buy an RV and live in it for a year, since you're not going to be homesteading like you wanted to anyway."  We'll go in to Dallas and look at a mobile home park which seems pretty nice for what it is, only because I am hoping I will get that job and it is in Dallas.

We are spending way more money than I thought we would to get away from the heat. We did some things today so that hopefully tomorrow, we will be able to start not spending as much money. We really really really need to cut back, or pretty soon we will have nothing.

I appreciate all the blessings that we have. We are in relative comfort as things go. I thought of pioneers crossing the plains along the Nebraska, Oregon and Mormon trails. Walking in those clothes, hot, dusty, miserable. Sleeping on the ground. I have relatives who did that. My family and I have it made by comparison. 

I'm grateful for my blessings and I walk in faith. I am reminded of the old poem lines of which are: "oh God forgive me when I whine I have two feet, the world is mine." I start looking for work even more earnestly tomorrow. Right now, I'm sitting in a church waiting for my kids to finish a class, so I'm going to take a nap in air conditioning.

1 comment:

  1. One more month and the heat will start to recede. My wife and I live in Garland, so welcome neighbor!

    ReplyDelete