Monday, July 13, 2015

End of Week 1

It's been a good week. We've come away first and foremost with gratitude for our blessings, and a keen realization of how little "stuff" we really need in our lives.

I appreciate that even though I CAN live in a tent, do I really want to? I might feel differently if we were not in a holding pattern. At least in a trailer I could sleep comfortably and not wake up tired. A stockpile of Vitamin B is much higher on my list than it was. This week has brought back memories of my time working in a refugee camp in Hong Kong. One of the biggest problems is combatting boredom. We had electricity so I could do a little bit of genealogy data entry I suppose, but sooner or later I will run out of data (I guess one could always find a cemetery to transcribe), and even for an avid reader like me, there are only so many books you can read, and only so many games to play. Something to keep in mind in a real disaster or emergency situation.

I've always had a theory that God's conversation with Adam and Even post fall that they would have to work for a living was more of an instruction and a blessing than a curse. This week has reinforced that. In a permanent state, one could gather food, sow crops, create a learning environment. I'm reminded of the stories of pioneers who sowed crops for those who followed, and those who cared for those crops even though they might not have been able to eat it themselves. I used to think that was a nice way to pay it forward; now I think it had the double blessing of keeping the saints busy and engaged.

The truck is still acting up. It worries me that after investing over $2200 I still don't have a vehicle which I feel is reliable. I am actually traveling with the title to it in case I have to jettison it along the way. I should have invested in two oxen or camels instead 😍

I'm hoping to get rid of the tent today, either by returning it or putting it up for sale on Craigslist. I just can't deal with the 15-30 minute install/repack every 3-4 days. UPDATE: Sports Authority took it back as a return, no questions (other than is it defective) asked; immediate refund. YAY!

On balance, it's been a good week. No major surprises other than the truck, and I've rethought my initial desire to "rough it" versus my reality that I should and can make it as easy as possible for my family. This week has reinforced that the time to prepare is NOW. We are pretty prepared and experienced, so the impact is really one of inconvenience. Others would find it challenging and even insurmountable. My suggestion would be to take steps to practice and prepare while the sun shines 😄


No comments:

Post a Comment